fbpx

Middle Fork of the Salmon – Round Two

Scroll

The Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, or The River of No Return, is a 100 mile stretch of beauty in the Frank Church Wilderness. It is the second largest protected wilderness in the contiguous United States.

After a wild, high water trip in 2010, I was determined to make it back this year. I was bummed when I found out I didn’t win a permit in the lottery, but that was quickly remedied by an invite from my friend Carrie for the exact date I had applied for! As an added bonus, the fancy new cataraft I had ordered arrived less than a week before launch and I new this would be the perfect maiden voyage and learning opportunity for me.

Pistol Rapid – Rocking the Maiden Voyage!
Flying Solo – Scared in Class III all over again!

I was giddy with excitement as we packed and loaded, with sunshine, perfect flows, and an awesome crew in the forecast.

Everything turned out as planned this time, with six wonderful days of whitewater, hot springs, fishing, wildlife, pictographs, and unbelievable scenery.

Big Horns!
Nick, the Master Fisherman!
Just one of the many pictographs along the river.

Once again I loved every second of this trip – what an amazing river! I’m already planning my return…