Building Community Through Kayaking

Scroll

kate-wagner-indy-001Kate Wagner’s passions for kayaking and community have led to quit her day job to help others get out and paddle.

A couple months ago, I decided to take a break from working in the mental health field and refresh my perspective by working at a local outdoor store. So, I took a job at the Next Adventure Paddle Sports Center.  It has been a nice change of pace, to say the least.

Group Photo at the Put In
Group Photo at the Put In of the Lower Hood River.

A part of my job that I especially enjoy is something we call Get Out and Paddle.  Every second, third and fourth week of the month (November through March) we offer a free kayaking trip on one of our various local rivers. The river difficulty is determined by the week, meaning that week two is Class II, etc. The trip is not instructional or guided, just organized for maximum fun.

We have had great turn-outs this year, averaging around twenty folks per trip.  It has proven to be a wonderful way for folks to meet other paddlers, try out new runs, and have a fun day on the river.

For any paddlers in the Portland, OR area interested in joining us, Here’s the current schedule.

See you on the river!