fbpx

Dare to Kayak: Words from 2015 Participants

Scroll

devonkayaktalkDevon Barker-Hicks’ Dare to Kayak program teaches young children to paddle, challenging them to stay away from drugs and alcohol. In 2015, partnering with Idaho’s Wild River License Plate program, a new focus on conservation was included. But with this year’s recap, Devon decided to let the kids speak for themselves.

Dare to Kayak reaches out to students who live in our great state of Idaho and across the country. I began this program as a way to encourage students to find an exciting alternative to abusing drugs and alcohol. My option for them was to learn to kayak. This program has grown from learning to paddle only in a pool to paddling on a river, river safety, and conservation.

IMG_5975_web

This year, Dare to Kayak partnered with Idaho’s Wild River License Plate grant to help students along the  Salmon River learn more about water safety, conservation, and running the river. We learned to paddle along the banks of the Salmon River. Some of the students lived along the river but never interacted with it. We had seventeen students participate in this year’s program.

150714_0006_web

These students not only learned to paddle, but also learned concepts of Leave No Trace philosophy and water safety. Knowing how to properly wear a PFD is a huge step in education of students who live along the river. The students’ awareness of rivers was increased by learning more about the rivers in their backyard. I heard “This rocks!” and “I love the river!” as the students worked on their paddle strokes. The following pictures and quotes from the students speak to their fun and educational time on the river.

IMG_5971_web

“Kayaking is something great to do with friends and family. Kayaking is a way of life. Sometimes it’s smooth and sometimes it’s rough. Paddle on!” – Lotus Harper

unnamed_web

“Growing up in Riggins, on the Salmon River, it is important that children learn how to respect the river and the land as well as how to maneuver in the water. My son loves the river and especially loved kayaking with Devon and all her helpers.” – Hannah (mom)

150714_0024_web

Kayaking is fun to do
Always be prepared
Your choice to be safe
Alcohol is bad when kayaking
Kayaking strokes, pin wheel, rolling, paddles

Gear up when kayaking
Always wear a life jacket
Make sure the weather is good
Each day clean up the river”
– Kayson, age eleven

DSC4381_web

“I love kayaking. I can’t wait to do it again!” Kingston, age seven

_DSC4480_web

“I love spending time on the river, especially with my friends. My dad has lived in this area his whole life but was never introduced to kayaking or rafting. So this opportunity is awesome for me to be able to have an instructor to help me learn to kayak safely on the river. I have learned so much about the gear, the kayaks, maneuvers and the river. Learning to use my entire body has been a little difficult but gets easier all the time. I prefer the inflatable kayak; I am claustrophobic and do okay in the kayak but after putting the sprayskirt on I start to feel a little anxious and worry about getting out of the kayak more than where I am on the river. Devon has been great working with me on this fear, I think I have improved a lot. The more I’m on the river the more confident I feel. I’m very thankful to Devon and her helpers and to all the sponsors!” – Jordyn Pottenger, age twelve

DSC4435_web

“I have been kind of scared of kayaking in the river. Going to this kayaking class was really helpful in building my confidence on the river. I think that kayaking is a good way to relax and have fun. ‘There is never a bad day when you are kayaking.’  One of the skills I acquired was learning wet exit on river, find an eddy and drain out your boat to start again. You can keep the salmon clean by bringing whatever you brought in, out. I think that more kids should be interested in kayaking.  P.S. Never forget to wear your PFD.” – Graden Guest, age twelve

IMG_6003_web

Wild Rivers License Plate Grant
Enjoy the Weather
Tuck, Pop, Push
Enjoy Kayaking

X-games for Kayaking
Intend to always be safe
Take responsibility with all strokes, rivers, and equipment
– Brody, age eleven

150714_0019_web

“Kayaking has helped me build more confidence in myself. Kayaking made me want to be in the river more. My favorite part about kayaking was going through the Rapids.”

DSC4408_web

“I hope the Dare To Kayak program will help other kids learn what I learned in my kayaking experience.”  –  Emily, age thirteen

DSC4374_web

Dare to be who you want to be.
Activities are better than drug and alcohol abuse.
Risk losing so you can reach your goals.
Everything can be achieved with hard work, dedication, and a deep, down drive that guides you…
to KAYAK.