fbpx

Nicole Mansfield’s Ski Camping Adventure

Scroll

Alaskan rivers start as snow, so it makes sense that NRS Ambassador Nicole Mansfield’s Alaskan kayaking adventure would start as an Alaskan ski camping adventure.

Photo: Martin Youens

At the beginning of March, I received a phone call from my friend Meg Smith asking if I wanted to load up in her truck and head on an Alaskan adventure in a month. I responded, “Well, let me think about it…OK, nevermind—YES!”  While this initial report of our Alaskan adventures may not involve kayaks, rafts, or water other than what we were drinking, it features the snow, which is currently in the process of becoming CFS for the rivers and creeks!

After driving for about five days and however many thousands of miles, we arrived in Valdez, AK on a sunny afternoon. We were soon presented with the opportunity to leave in a little over 12 hours for a five night ski camping adventure near Thompson Pass.  Knowing we lacked essential gear such as negative degree rated sleeping bags, 4-season tents, and socks without holes in the bottom, I hesitantly agreed to at least give it a shot.  Still disheveled from days of travel, we soon found ourselves sweating with enormous packs through a four-hour ski tour to a zone known as the Iguana Backs.

Arriving exhausted to our magnificent mountain-surrounded home for the next week, we set about learning how to live comfortably in the snow by digging a kitchen, holes for the tents, a “bathroom,” and melting snow for water. Going to bed with numb toes and fingers, and barely sleeping due to the cold, I wondered if it was worth it. The next day we skinned across the valley, bootpacked up couloirs and ramps, and skied my first Alaskan lines before watching the sunset beyond the impressive peaks; I realized that, yes, it was entirely worth it. The second, third, fourth, and fifth nights were as cold, but not nearly as frigid as the first. I am so thankful to our more experienced crew consisting of Nick Langowski, Reese Doyle, Gareth Dontknowhislastname, and Martin Youens, who shared the tricks of alpine survival and gave me the best Alaskan introduction. Those days of skiing were incredible, and the trip was a HUGE learning experience.

Meg and I climbing a run in the Iguana Backs. Photo: Nick Langowski

After struggling to ski back to the car with still exceedingly heavy packs, we returned to Valdez to celebrate, rest, and plan the next adventure, which would be to an area known as The Books. Our targeted camp spot would be 10 miles from the road and require snowmobiles to transport gear—and possibly ourselves. As we waited for plans to materialize, Martin’s return flight to New Zealand crept closer, and it was decided that if we were going to make it happen, we would have to carry everything in ourselves. So, that’s what we did, and after 10 hours of skinning, we arrived at our new camp long after it was dark (which, as a side note, does not happen in the spring in Alaska until after 10pm).

Trudging into The Books. Photo: Martin Youens
Meg LOVING it

Unlike our last trip where we would skin down various valleys “window shopping” for our next line, here at The Books, we simply hung out in camp and scanned the 270° of mountain lines to scout our next runThere were a couple of cloudy and snowy moments where we were confined to camp, but overall we were super lucky with the weather and snow conditions and had another terrific six days in the incredible Alaskan mountains.

Martin watching people skin into a line .. and probably envisioning what he would ride next. Photo: Martin Youens

My NRS kayak gear proved essential to my layering during these ski trips. For daytime touring while working hard and sweating, I highly recommend the Hydrosilk Pants, shortsleeve and long sleeve Crossover Shirt, and the WaveLite Pungo Polartec Fleece.  For staying warm while sleeping and hanging out in camp, I relied on the WaveLite Pants, WaveLite Shirt, WaveLite UnionSuit, Pungo, and Sawtooth Fleece Jacket. Yes, I wore all of these under my ski pants, two down coats, and multiple hats.

Eating breakfast and keeping warm in the tent. Photo Martin Youens
ME = STOKED! Photo: Meg Smith